This summer I am teaching drawing and painting for kids in Stone Mountain, Ga. near where I live. The classes are small and concentrated during the summer with three classes per week and 2 hours long each. The advantage of teaching private classes over public school art is that the class size is much smaller and the time frame is much larger. The time allowed for art in public school is usually 30 minutes once a week and with my private art classes it is 2 hours a day 3 times a week for a total of 6 hours per week. For a child that has a passion to draw and paint this is greatly needed. The extra time gives them the luxury of focusing their creativity and being allowed to have enough time to work on their artwork with guidance. The kids are doing a great job and having a lot of fun in the process. They are very proud of their finished artwork and I am too. They are also working at home on a list of drawing prompts and receive a prize of they finish the list. These can be used to encourage any child to draw and are a great activity in the summer or any time. to practice drawing and boost their creativity.
Kids Drawing Prompts List
1. Draw or trace your hand in any position
2. Draw a wild animal
3. Draw a clock or a watch.
4. Draw a forest and two animals with one in a tree.
5. Draw a picture of what you will look like when you are 16.
6. Draw a picture of what you will look like when you are 60.
7. Draw yourself favorite Halloween costume.
8. Draw a monster having a nightmare.
9. Draw a picture of animal by combining the parts of two different ones.
10. Draw a picture of a windy day with trees blowing in the wind.
11. Draw your foot.
12. Draw a picture of someone in your family then draw a funny hat on them.
13. Imagine what it would look like if you lived on Mars and draw a picture of it.
14. Draw a picture of your favorite toy.
15. Draw a picture of something from nature.
16. Draw your pet.
17. Think about what your home would look like if you lived in Antarctica.
18. Draw a picture of you as an astronaut walking on the moon.
19. Draw a character from your favorite book.
20. Draw a picture of your favorite birthday party.
21. Imagine yourself in a country far away. Draw yourself and what you would like to do there.
22. Draw the jungle and 3 animals that live there.
23. Draw a picture of your home.
24. Draw a picture of your best friend and you having fun.
25. Draw an imaginary place that no one knows about but you.
26. Draw a picture of a circus and what you like best.
27. Imagine if bugs were as big as people. What would it look like?
28. Draw a picture of your hero or someone you think is great.
29. Draw a picture of your favorite things to eat and make them into characters with eyes, mouth, nose, hands, and feet.
30. Imagine the world at peace with everyone loving each other and being kind. Draw and color or paint it.