I love Earth Day and one of my favorite and art students favorite projects was Make An Earth – Kids Earth Day Activity . Encouraging recognition of the this special day encourages children to respect not only our earth but also nature and to not take for granted the beauty around us in everyday life. Earth Day for 2015 is April 22, 2015.
What better project to make for Earth Day than the earth itself. This is a very easy project and does not require a lot of supplies. The kids love it and the finished products are excellent for bulletin boards or cards.
The following supplies are needed:
cardboard for circle patterns
blue tempera paint
green tempera paint
cardstock, tag board or thick paper for the earth painting
old newspaper or newsprint paper for applying the paint
containers for the paint, bowls or something with a wide opening
1. Decide how big you want the earth to be and look for a lid size to trace to make the pattern. For larger versions you can use Tupperware lids and for smaller ones you can use coffee can lids or something similar. Trace around the lid onto a piece of cardboard or cardstock Cut out the pattern and duplicate for a class if needed. It works fine to just have one pattern per table of children and have them share..
2. Have the child/children trace around the pattern and then cut it out.
3. Pour paint into wide-mouthed containers, one for green and one for blue. Wad up one sheet or newspaper or newsprint loosely.
4. Demonstrate to the child/children to dip the waded newspaper into the blue paint first and form sort of a Y shape through the middle of the circle. Then take the waded newspaper for the green and fill into the space around the edges that does not have the blue paint.
5. Dry completely before handling.
After drying encourage the children to draw and cut out their favorite animals and plants from nature and glue them on the earth. This makes a great bulletin board display and encourages others in the school to remember and observe earth day by sharing the Make An Earth- Kids Earth Day Activity